Alpine Loop Scenic Drive , Utah - Finding Fall Adventure
Alpine Loop, Utah - Finding Fall Adventure
This fall I was on a mission to find fall. Fall is my favorite time of year. Just everything about fall is the best..... the cooler weather, the leaves changing colors, the crisp morning air, the feeling of the holidays, all of it! Plus, it means I get to wear my boots, sweaters and hats which make it just that much better!
I began researching the best places to see the fall colors in early September. There were a few places that came up over and over again. The Alpine Loop was one of these places :) So I set my sights on Utah and never looked back.
So what is the Alpine loop?
The Alpine loop is a 20 mile scenic drive that winds through rugged alpine canyons of the Wasatch Range. It follows along Hwy 92 through the American Fork Canyon. You travel through the Uinta National Forest down to Provo Canon along Hwy 189.
The Alpine Loop Scenic Drive offers stupendous views of Mount Timpanogos along with many other peaks that were carved by glaciers.
The road is paved the entire way and open from May to late October depending on the weather. At first the road starts off as a two lane double yellow line; however, it quickly changes as you head up the mountain into a single lane, no line road with two way traffic.
If you want to adventure around the area (ie go on hikes) you will need to purchase a $6 pass at the entrance booth; however, if you are just passing through there is no fee.
When should you go?
Personally, I would recommend going in October when the aspens are changing colors. Plus the weather is perfect so if you wanted to go on a day hike you can do so.
This adventure was so much fun! Things to be aware:
1. Aspens change colors so darn fast. The leaves can be yellow one day and then gone the next.
2. The majority of Utah closes down at night; therefore, making it a little hard to find food.
3. The Alpine Loop will close depending on the weather so you will want to make sure to check first before you go.
4. It is insanely busy when the aspens are changing colors. There were people all over the place.
5. There aren't very many places to pull over and get pictures, so you when you see a spot just take it and then decide if you want to get out :)
This was such a gorgeous trip and I would certainly recommend it to anyone and everyone that loves fall colors!
I hope you all enjoyed this adventure. If you have gone, or are planning on going to the Alpine Loop leave a comment below!
As always, all photographs are available on my photography website here.